Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The Land of Oz

I was really disheartening when I pulled up to the Burrito Loco in Huber Heights and the lights were turned off. It was like watching the last Seinfeld and seeing Friends fad off into a dark scene. Many cafes and restaurants are closing its doors due to the economic conditions.
My wife Pat, called one day and said did I know Culver's and Lincoln Park will be closing after there New Year's Party? I must say I did not know.
Small and medium eateries that are independently owned are falling out of the race. The corporate owned that have the money behind them are still running in the race. Constantly, I have to visit Sam's Club on Miller Lane and you know the area is restaurant haven. This was on a Tuesday and usually the lots are next to vacant. Recently, they are full. I noticed at Smoky Bones cars being parked in a vacant Joe's Crab Shack and patrons walking over to wait.
These are tough times and many small places like mine Kanoe Cafe are wondering will we make it through the tough January and February time period? We are offering new dishes at reasonable prices. If people are willing to come and meet and eat many places are willing to shave the price a cent or two. McDonald's is advertising a combo meal for $3.33. In hopes you buy three. Subway started with the $5 sub and Quezon's followed. Many casual restaurant chains offer 6.99 meals.
Were are we going with this I do not know but what I do know is this to start at the beginning and follow the yellow brick road. It is a journey if you can hang in there you will end up in the Land of Oz.

No comments: